The Douro River – also know as the River of Gold is a spectacular site running 550 miles from Northern Spain to Portugal.
Although most of the Douro is considered unnavigable, you can still experience 124 miles of unforgettable culture, history and spectacular scenery including the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Douro River Valley (between Barqueiros and Mazouco).
AmaWaterways offers an inspiring itinerary, allowing you to explore this picturesque part of the world.
Your cruise itinerary departs in Vega de Terrón and visits Barca d’Alva, Pinhão, Régua, Entre-os-Rios and ends up in Porto.
With an optional 3-day pre-cruise stay in Madrid, experience Spain with a “Capital of Spain” city tour, “Imperial City” Toledo excursion and a full day exploring Salamanca complete with a flamenco show before heading to the ship to depart from Vega de Terrón.
Your hotel is the stunning NH Collection Colón Madrid (or similar) and will include complimentary breakfasts and transfers to the ship.
Known as the “White Village” due to its almond trees, you can choose to explore the spectacular views on your own or join an included excursion to Castelo Rodrigo.
If seeing the famous Portuguese tiles is on your list, don’t miss the Pinhão Railway Station which houses 25 tile panels, depicting various scenes from this region. Then learn about the history and culture of wine at Quinta da Avessada.
Many options for excursions here including a 700-step hike up the Holy Staircase bringing you to the Sanctuary of our Lady of Remedies in nearby Lamego. After, wander the grounds of Mateus Palace.
Enjoy a leisurely day in Entre-os-Rios with a scrumptious home-cooked meal in a local quinta before heading off on a scenic cruise to Porto.
With an afternoon and full day in Porto, you will have ample time to explore this UNESCO World Heritage site including stately bridges and world-famous port wine houses. Some of the “not-to-miss” attractions include a walk around the riverside district of Ribeira, the Romanesque Porto Cathedral (Sé do Porto) and the Sao Bento Train Station with 20,000 azulejos (hand-painted ceramic tiles).
If you are still craving some Portuguese culture, extend your vacation with a 3-day post cruise stay in Lisbon. After a visit to Tomar Castle, check into your hotel and relax. Over the next two days, you can indulge in a “City of Seven Hills” tour and a Royal Sintra excursion with a Pena National Palace visit.
Your vacation concludes with a transfer to the airport the following day.
- 7 nights luxury accommodation in an outside stateroom (most with outside balconies)
- Computer for internet access
- Entertainment-On-Demand in all staterooms featuring free high-speed internet access, movies, a music library and English language TV stations
- Desk and sitting area
- Bottled water replenished daily
AN ARRAY OF AMENITIES
- Personalized service from a highly trained Cruise Manager during both cruise and land programs
- Internet and Wi-Fi access
- Sun deck with pool
- Fitness room
- Main Lounge with panoramic views and bar
- Daily entertainment including cultural performances
- All onboard dining in a variety of venues
- Regionally inspired cuisine made with locally sourced ingredients
- Welcome Cocktail, Welcome Dinner, Captain’s Cocktail and Gala Dinner
- Unlimited fine wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Unlimited sparkling wine and fresh juice with breakfast
- Sip & Sail Cocktail Hour with complimentary wine, beer, spirits and soft drinks
- Sandwiches, snacks and refreshments served daily in the Main Lounge
A WORLD OF EXPLORATION
- Immersive tours in every destination
- Gentle, regular, active and late-riser tour options
- Bike tours and hikes
- Special Interest Tours
- Knowledgeable guides
- Personal headset for easy exploration
- Airport transfers with purchase of air from AmaWaterways
Your Ship is the AmaVida with a capacity of just 102 passengers in 51 staterooms.
Ready to Board?
Pricing starts at just $5,155 CDN per person (including all taxes and fees and the above inclusions) Contact me to learn about additional promotions available.
For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re unable to travel (or just not ready), check out my post Virtual Tourist: Adventures of Portugal for an evening of fun, food and Portugal.
If you have a favourite place to see in Portugal or a bucket list attraction, let me know in the comments below. Felicidades!